Monday, January 5, 2009

Tech Interview with Burikusu!!!


I thought it might be interesting to start a new feature on Waveformless - technically-oriented interviews with types of bands that don't often get exposure in the larger press. I don't know how often I'll do these, but I realized that I happen to know a lot of really talented people and that their fans, and electronic musicians in general, might appreciate hearing how they work. We'll start off with Burikusu!!!, a band from Sweden whose album I released late last year and have pimped rather heavily here. I hope you enjoy it and if there are any other bands you'd like to see interviewed here, by all means let me know. My resources are limited here, but I will try my best!
-----
WAVEFORMLESS: Tell me a bit about how Burikusu!!! got started and what your musical influences are...

Burikusu!!!: It started with that Timmy, after hearing the track "Electrocute" from my earlier band vember, really wanted to work with us. We started to try to use Timmy's rapping on some tracks but we quickly found out that me and Timmy just work well together in the studio. We share the same sense of playfulness and humour and have a lot of fun while working. Although I do all the production, it helps me to work with someone else as it keeps me from getting bored and running out of ideas. In addition to his rapping, his vocal sound when singing is also quite different from mine so we complement each other well.

None of us really likes hip-hop.

WAVEFORMLESS: What’s the origin of the name?

Burikusu!!!: It's derived from UN weapons inspector Hans Blix. His last name but written in Japanese. This is more due to an element of randomness inherent in our creative process rather than us trying to be political.

WAVEFORMLESS: What is your studio set-up like? Any favorite pieces of gear?

Burikusu!!!: My studio is mainly software based so the one thing really standing out is my monitors (dynaudio BM15A) which I really love. I'm growing quite fond of my new vocal chain too, a Shure SM7B going into a ART Voice Channel, but I didn't have that when we did 2080.

Software wise pretty much everything is done with Ableton Live and Surge, with a few other plug-ins used on occasion.

WAVEFORMLESS: Describe for us how you go about creating one of your tracks. Do you have a set way of doing things, or does it vary?

Burikusu!!!: It tends to be different from time to time. It could be an inspiring sample, a short 4/8-bar loop, a lyrical theme or just some vocal idea.

WAVEFORMLESS: One of the most striking things about your music are the vocal treatments. Can you tell us a bit about this? Any favorite techniques or tricks?

Burikusu!!!: Think of vocals like drums.

I use the warping engine in Live a lot for the vocals, chopping them up, repeating bits, transposing and time-stretching small segments with different warping modes and that kind of stuff. I often use the vocal effects as a way to get the song to flow the way I intended, and as the vocal tends to be the center of the listeners attention it is usually very effective.

WAVEFORMLESS: The track of yours that always seems to blow people away when I play it for them is Mikeeboi, where you cut up samples of Mike Tyson talking trash to sound as if he’s rapping. Tell us a bit about how you achieved that...

Burikusu!!!: He actually was rapping to a certain extent, as he had a really nice flow which made the process relatively straightforward with the warping in Live.

WAVEFORMLESS: You also create your own software, as well as working for Ableton. Do you find that the ability to create your own tools influences the way you make music at all, and if so, how?

Burikusu!!!: It does give me a very deep understanding of the software and the innovations I add to the software stem from the things I desire to try out as an electronic musician so of course when I finally get to try them out it makes a big difference. Making music also makes me much better at building the tools.

WAVEFORMLESS: What sorts of changes in software do you think we’ll see in the coming years? What would you most like to see?

Burikusu!!!: As I see it, music software is still in its infancy. There are a quite a few fundamental concepts that will have to change before it can truly mature. Of course, as holder of the much coveted secret recipe I don't intend to share it, haha..

WAVEFORMLESS: How has technology affected the way you work?

Burikusu!!!: Technology IS the way we work. I don't think I would be making music without it, except maybe for playing piano for my own amusement.

WAVEFORMLESS: What’s the on plug-in you couldn’t live without?

Burikusu!!!: Surge. I know it like if it were an extension to my body and if I want to change or add anything I can.

WAVEFORMLESS: What does the future hold for Burikusu!!! ?

Burikusu!!!: We have a lot of new material in the pipeline and hope to have something new out during 2009. We probably still won't put together a live show unless something unexpected happens though.

WAVEFORMLESS: Finally, as one last question... why is ADSL so slow?

Burikusu!!!: Mostly because it's asymmetric. Burikusu!!! is all about symmetry.

Burikusu's debut album "2080" is out on 23db Records. Check out samples and buy on line here.

Share/Save/Bookmark
Subscribe

2 comments:

robot said...

Interesting...

So does Burikusu only use Ableton and Surge, or more little plugins / VST here and there?

The whole vocal section gives me a nice idea.

Tom said...

Claes from Burikusu!!! created Surge and does DSP programming for Ableton, so I'm pretty sure that is most of what he uses and that he knows them inside and out.