Thursday, January 29, 2009

Facebook as a Name Generator?


So, I finally gave in a started a Facebook account. I'd been resisting it, but I'm pretty sure if you don't get one, eventually they send troops armed with cattle prods to your house. I've actually been pleasantly surprised to find it's not nearly as annoying as MySpace, and I've actually heard from a lot of old friends I hadn't talked to in ages, which is nice.

Like most social networking sites, until you've verified your account so that it knows you're a real person and not a spam-spewing computer, whenever you send a message or add a friend, you have to enter a captcha - a basic challenge and response where you have to type in the letters or numbers shown to you in an image. What's different about Facebook's is that it generates actual words. After doing this for awhile, I realized a lot of the captchas it comes up with sound like band names, song titles, or even psuedonyms for band members. Here's a random selection of ones it gave me (and you can keep asking it to generate new ones as long as you like): Service Lass, Of Trust, Broadway Tomb, Puss McNabb, 35,000,000 Hives...

So the next time you're stuck on what to call your latest IDM masterpiece, give it a try. (Conversely, you could even use it as an idea generator. Let it come up with some word combinations, and then try to create what you think a song with that title would sound like...)

3 comments:

Bob's Country Bunker said...

you will *love* this. the ONLY reason i joined facebook was for stalking purposes. i joined, gathered a few "real" friends, then approached the object of my affection. the captcha when i wrote her was ...are you ready for this? ..."Who's Crush". WTF?! it's kind of terrifying.

That said: NEVER verify your account and never accept any applications. Facebooks is cool, but it is a govt. conspiracy. srsly. http://albumoftheday.com/facebook/

mangadrive said...

lmao...

True story.

Similar named my first album and recently I was digging around on these blogs and saw a cool song title.

Anonymous said...

Man, now I wish I hadn't joined a college network...I never get those prompts now. I guess 'll have stick with the gibberish used by other verification programs.