Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Very Cool DEVO Interview



Via Synthtopia.

Mark Mothersbaugh and Gerald Casale of DEVO being grumpy old men. That's not a slam, by the way. As a slightly younger (well, much younger, actually) grumpy old man myself, I appreciate their perspective a lot. (And if you've been involved in the music industry for any amount of time and don't end up a grumpy old man, you're doing something wrong... )

Lately, I've been embracing the 'less is more' approach they talk about in this video. It's actually a lot more challenging to strip away elements from a mix than to just keep layering. Every bit has to count more and it actually takes a surprising amount of skill.


On a side note, when I lived in Williamsport, Pennsylvania many years ago, one of the guys I worked with rented a room in town from Gerald Casale's dad!

2 comments:

Darkmaer said...

thats cool...I lived in York, PA most my life...I'm soooooo glad i'm out of that town. well actually PA in general. A very depressing state if you ask me

Tom said...

My years in Williamsport were bar none the worst years of my life. There's nothing to do there, but what's even worse is that it's in the middle of nowhere, so to get to anything worthwhile, you have to drive at least an hour or two. I was single at the time too, and let's just say it's not a great town to be single in. haha