Saturday, January 9, 2010

What Do You Think?

So, I got a complaint the other day about the legibility of the site - particularly the color scheme.  While it certainly looked fine from my end, I figured if someone out there was having trouble reading it enough to complain about it, there were probably others, so I hope for those of you who were having trouble reading the light grey on black scheme find this one a bit easier on your eyes.

UPDATE:  It seems pretty evenly divided between people who like the new look and those who preferred the old one.  Since the problem people had with the old one was legibility and the problem people have with the new one is purely aesthetic, I'm going to stick with this, at least for a while.  I didn't like it at first either, but it's growing on me a bit.

15 comments:

teodora said...

in general it's more difficult to read white on black but I had no problems and the site looked nice..
and I read the RSS feed anyway :))

Coresect said...

I also read the RSS feed (gotta love Google Reader) but I didn't see anything wrongwith the old layout. This new one looks cleaner, clearer and probably neater. I say stick with it and then change back in a month or two, keep it cycling.

8)

Proximity said...

The higher the contrast the better... for accessibility! I have have been a web developer and designer for over 10 years and there is always someone who has an opinion, good and bad. I don't think there is a huge problem but it is not so hard to turn up the contrast a tad! There is a fine line between design and function and the context is not so clear!

Anonymous said...

I don't know...

I really liked the old layout and, when I opened the page today on the Aelita demo, I refreshed it a few times, thinking there was a formatting error.

I agree that legibility is key for a blog but can't there be a color scheme that is legible AND demonstrates the style of A23 and you, Tom?

-Tom N

Joshua said...

Hmm... if there was a vote I'd say the old layout was better. But this one is...fine ;)

Anonymous said...

Needs more dripping blood bars, spinning skulls and Geocities ads.

- Darren

KONEY said...

More readability now but less style :)

rayzr said...

I'm liking the new layout for sure.

-Rayzr

dave romero said...

oh no, please go back!

epiphanius said...

I preferred the old one as well.

Steve said...

Better theme altogether. Much cleaner too, I dig.

Who's that drunk guy? said...

My eyes they burn!!!

Besides, I thought your European label got through to you that light colored themes "don't sell" :)

BTW That "Steve" post above is NOT from me...

Anonymous said...

New album, new website, new blog colors. It's good to switch it up every so often. I like it.

+1 for spinning skulls.

Further, I would submit the following song should assuage your European fan base given the new coloring. :-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbbXsYkobi0

Derek said...

I would suggest making the blog part wider, it's too narrow now, so there's a lot of unused space on both sides of the content. It's fairly easy to do with Blogger, just have to find the right section of code.

John said...

I prefer the old format/scheme.