Friday, July 10, 2009

New Service Helps Simplify Updating Artist Web Sites
















It's a fact of life for musicians today that you need to have as wide-reaching a web presence as possible if you want to succeed. The great thing is, there is no shortage of great social networking sites that allow you to promote yourself easily and for absolutely free. The downside, however, is that as the list of sites you promote yourself on grows, the more time is required to keep them current and updated. And the more time you're spending on that, the less time you have to, oh, I don't know MAKE MUSIC.


That's the problem a new site called
ArtistData aims to solve. I should be upfront and let you know that I have not personally tried this site out yet, so I can't vouch for how effectively it does its job, but I do intend to give it a try once I get my new album completed, as I want to get my music up on a wider range of social networking sites than I presently do. So here's what ArtistData has to say:

"OUR CORE BELIEF:

Musicians should only enter data once.

ArtistData tirelessly works to give musicians more time to be creative. We're building solutions to automate the monotonous updating of artist websites, social network profiles, concert databases, Twitter, official news feeds, iCal, local press, fan newsletters, and even tour books. When an artist updates our site, we update all their sites. Our current users save hundreds of hours, giving them more time to do what they love: create music."

3 comments:

Victoria said...

This looks interesting!

For some reason I hesitate to use something like this for fear of repetition. I try to treat each of the sites a bit differently , mainly because there are some of the same people on each one. I'm not sure if it matters to them or not, but for me, to see the same update on twitter, facebook, myspace, and livejournal would start to feel automated and impersonal. I'm probably over thinking, but i am curious, what do you think?

mangadrive said...

It still requires micromanagement of each community site, but this is a step in the right direction.

Tom said...

Victoria - My guess is that you could select some of the services to do a global update to and you could do individual ones as you pleased. My guess is that even if you did replicate the same info everywhere, people would just choose whatever their preferred service was to keep up with you. I think the idea is more to try and reach as many different people as possible by using multiple services since most people probably have personal preferences...