Monday, July 6, 2009

Cheap Trick Release New Album on 8-Track


Although I suspect most readers of this blog weren't around when 8-track cassette was a common format, I thought you all might get a kick out of this. According to Boingboing, rockers Cheap Trick have given a tip of the hat to the decade that spawned them by making their new album, The Latest, available on the long-obsolete 8-track format.

It's easy to kind of snicker at this, but I bet they do pretty well with them. Hardcore music fans love different formats, and Cheap Trick has a big enough fan base even now that will probably love the sly in-joke. I think this sort of thing represents one of the possible futures for the music industry - not 8-track, smart-ass, but doing smaller runs of specialized releases that cost more than the standard release for the die-hard fans. Making more from less, so to speak.


Up next, the complete works of Frank Sinatra on 78 RPM wax cylinder.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice. One of my first rock albums was "The Dream Police" from them. Even though my musical tastes run in a different direction, I've always had a soft spot for Cheap Trick.

Saw them a few years ago and they still have a mean live show (even though they looked like they were about 70).

8 Tracks.. hehe. I remember some albums would change right in the middle of a song. Annoying as hell