Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Return of Ensoniq?


Okay, put this in the "take it with a grain of salt" department, but a reader over on GearSlutz noticed an update to the Ensoniq wikipedia that indicated that Ensoniq would be returning some time in 2011. I know, I know, it's on Wikipedia... not the most reliable source. However, another poster noticed that the update was posted by an IP at Creative Labs, who purchased Ensoniq before they went under.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. Frankly, I'm not expecting much since Creative as a company mostly releases consumer grade crap for hobbyists, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

6 comments:

Joe McMahon said...

I'd be pretty happy if they just released VSTs of some of the better (and more interesting) Ensoniq keyboards - the VFX/TS series, the ASRs, even the Fizmo.

toi said...

Don't forget that, Creative Labs own EMU which makes pro audio.

Joshua said...

Sounds very interesting...lots of possibilities there. Vintage Sample libraries? PC card/emulator?

I actually use a Creative card :P It's probably the best consumer grade crap card ever, though...but only because it has an EMU chip in it (ADAC).

The card itself is fine, not really pro, exactly - but fine. My only complaint is the stupid connection box which sits outside the computer chassis and is connected by the most unwieldy, unstable cables ever. The power cord especially is so loose fitting in the coupling, you breath on it and it disconnects. Very strange design.

Yeah...budget woes, be gone...

For now, just call me "Ghetto Blasta" ....heh

Tom said...

I made a reply to this yesterday, but it never took, so here goes again...

Personally, I think Emu stopped making interesting stuff once they signed on with Creative, too. But more importantly, if they already have the Emu brand for pro audio stuff, it makes it less likely in my opinion that any new Ensoniq products are going to be aimed at the professional market.

Joshua said...

You could be right, Tom. Although I've heard/read good things about their top of the line EMU soundcard, I've heard virtually nothing about their other supposedly Pro EMU products which seem to have faded into obscurity ... Unless they have something new and amazing in mind, any Ensonique stuff they release is probably doomed to the same fate.

Joshua said...

Or "Ensoniq", to stay on topic ...