Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Children's Choir Covers Crystal Castles



Every now and then, someone does a cover of a song that so surpasses the original in some manner, that the cover ends up being considered the definitive version.  A good example would be Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's "Hurt".  It was always a beautiful song, but there is such a poignancy and genuine-ness to Cash's version, it's hard to appreciate the original as much after you hear it.

What we have here is a children's choir doing a stunning a cappella rendition of Crystal Castles' "Untrust Us".  The results are so beautiful, I broke out in goosebumps when the lyrics came in.  As far as I am concerned, this song now belongs to the Capital Children's Choir.  Crystal Castles wrote it, but these kids made it their own.

(The original song, for your reference:)

3 comments:

Jeff Knapp said...

That was seriously cool!

Anonymous said...

That was awesome! That choir teacher is the coolest music teacher ever! Though I have to disagree regarding the Cash version of "Hurt" being more genuine...Trent's version will always be the best version in my eyes.

Graham Bull said...

In regard of "Hurt", I really can't agree with you Tom. Trent's vocals are raw, he genuinely sounds pained, a true NIN classic. Johnny Cash's version makes me cringe, I just can't listen to it.