Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Did You Know Ricky Gervais Was Once in a Synth-pop Band?


In light of all the attention Mr. Gervais has been getting for his biting opening monologue at the Golden Globes on Sunday, I thought I'd dig out this old gem. Long before An Idiot Abroad, long before the Office, Ricky Gervais was the Bowie wanna-be singer for a synth-pop duo called Seona Dancing. The band released an album in 1982 to mild success in the UK. Strangely, 3 years later, one of their singles became wildly popular in the Philippines. I, for one, am glad their career never really took off, as we might have been deprived of one of the funniest comedians to come out of the UK since Eddie Izzard. Although I think for old time's sake, Ricky should try bringing back the 80's hair and questionable eye make-up.

2 comments:

fractured said...

You know Tom, I'm not going to argue about the 80s hair (though I can't really see the eye makeup in this video). I will agree that we are better off for Ricky's foray into comedy. I really do love my 80s!

Czad said...

I read it on his wikipedia page before. Never listened to 'em though. This is actually really good. I'm totally diggin' this.

But yeah I'm glad he got into comedy too.