Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Orbital to Return with First New Material in 6 Years


Via Side-Line:

Exciting news for fans of Orbital - the British duo will release a new single, "Don't Stop Me" / "The Gun is Good" on June 20th. The new tracks will be available on vinyl 12" (remember those, kids?) and digitally.

I was a huge fan of these guys back in the 90's. One year, my band was playing a festival in Sweden called Arvika. The promoters flew us into Norway and sent vans to come retrieve us, as it was cheaper. So the van arrives to pick us up and along with our crew is a British guy who introduces himself as "Phil". It's not until almost the end of the hour long drive that I realized it was Phil Hartnoll. I didn't say anything because, frankly, what am I going to say that he hasn't heard a million times, but I have to admit I squealed like a schoolgirl on the inside.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very cool! I actually met Paul Hartnoll at the Brat Awards in 1996. We talked for quite awhile. Found out he liked a lot of the 80s synth bands and, my favorite, OMD. Thought it was really funny when he squealed like a schoolgirl at spotting one of the guys from the Specials. Very down to Earth guy! Handed him my demo tape and that was that.

Looking forward to their new material.